Kedarkantha is a mountain peak of the Himalayas in Uttarakhand, India. Its elevation is 12,500 ft.
Difficulty: Easy – Moderate
Starting Point: Prince Chowk, Dehradun
Sankri to Sankri – INR 5,999/- (Including Permits)
Dehradun to Dehradun Charges: INR 7,499/- (Including Permits)
Transport Type: Sharing
December Dates: Daily Batches Available
January Dates: Daily Batches Available
February Dates: Daily Batches Available
Day 1: Dehradun to Sankri
Day 2: Sankri to Juda Ka Talab
Day 3: Juda Ka Talab to Kedarkantha Base Camp
Day 4: Kedarkantha Base Camp to Summit and Back to Juda Ka Talab
Day 5: Jada Ka Talab to Sankri and Back to Dehradun
kedarkantha trek lTINERARY
DAY 1: Dehradun to Sankri | Drive Distance: 187 kms | Duration: 6-7 hours | Elevation: 1950m
- Arrive at Dehradun and start your journey towards Sankri village
- Drive along Yamuna and Tons river, with pine forests surrounding your way and enjoy the beauty of nature at its best
- After the breezy ride reach Sankri and check-in to the comfortable campsite
- Enjoy a lip-smacking dinner at the campsite
- Overnight stay at Sankri
DAY 2: Sankri to Juda Ka Talab | Trek Distance: 4 kms | Duration: 3 – 4 hours
- After breakfast, you will set out on the hike from Saur Village and start climbing up
- Along the way, we will cross several high-altitude suspension bridges and small villages
- Reach the lake called Juda Ka Talab, where Lord Shiva had opened a small lock of his hair and water dripped from his hair forming this huge lake
- Step out of your camps and witness the starlit sky bedside the frozen lake
- Overnight stay at Juda Ka Talab
DAY 3: Juda Ka Talab to Base Camp | Trek Distance: 4 kms | Duration: 4 – 5 hours
- Enjoy breakfast at Juda Ka Talab, and head towards Kedarkantha base
- Immerse yourself in the beauty of the snow-lined path and patches of green that surrounds your way
- In case the weather is harsh, comfort yourself at the safe and equipped Gujjar huts
- The imposing view of the snow-capped Himalayan peaks of Bandarpoonch, Swargarohini, Kala Nag, and Ranglana will knock the breath straight out of you
- Upon reaching the campsite, mark the end of the day with a wonderful dinner and retire to the tents for the night
- Overnight stay at the Kedarkantha base
DAY 4: Base Camp to Kedarkantha Summit | Trek Distance: 6 km | Duration: 6 – 7 hours
- Post Breakfast get ready for the ultimate adventure
- Start early at around 2 am in the morning and it will take anywhere between 7 to 8 hours to get to the summit
- You will get to feel the welcoming and filtered sunrays from the mountains of the Yamunotri and Gangotri range and also of Kinner Kailash ranges.
- On reaching the summit, your jaw is going to drop and your eyes will not blink as you see the sun rising from the summit
- After spending some time at the summit and will start descending and walk all the way down to base camp
- Reach the Juda Ka Talab and end the day with a delicious dinner
DAY 5: Base Camp to Sankri | Trek Distance: 6 kms | Duration: 4 – 5 hours
- Enjoy the delicious breakfast at the base camp
- As you descend to Sankri village, get ready to listen to some interesting local stories shared by your guide
- Get Back to Dehradun by 8PM.
Kedarkantha Trek Highlights
- Kedarkantha is a trek blushing with beauty, giving photographers a perfect opportunity to capture the snow falling from the pine trees that looks like magic dust
- The ‘I rule the world’ pose at the top of Kedarkantha Summit will make a wonderful profile pic and with stunning views in the backdrop, it will make your friends jealous too!
- Experience the lovely campsites, where every site is unique in its own way and does not match the beauty with any other campsites in the journey
- Get a chance to camp around frozen Juda ka Talab where was once a place for meditation of Lord Shiva
- Experience walking in the middle of the night in, the head torches lighting the way and watching the sunrise from the top of a mountain before you reach Summit
KEDARKANTHA TREK OVERVIEW
Kedarkantha is such a popular winter trek that it would be apt to entitle it as the Queen of Winter Treks. Knee-deep snow in winters, mesmerizing view from the top, and the beautiful and easy trails make it popular among trekkers. The ‘easy on endurance’ trail goes through the thick pine forests of Govind National Park. The views from the top are worth climbing to an altitude of 12,500 ft.
Kedarkantha trek will give you an inimitable view of the cosmic sky, lush meadows, snow paths, charming villages, scented pine forest, sky-knocking peaks, tranquil rivers, and some mythological story whispers.
Kedarkantha Trekking Quick Facts:
Start/ End Point of the Trek: Sankri village
Kedarkantha Trek Distance: 20 km
Kedarkantha Trek Height: 12,500 ft
Kedarkantha Difficulty Level: Easy To Moderate
Kedarkantha Trek Temperature: Day (8°C to 15°C) and Night: (-5°C to 3°C)
Best Time to do Kedarkantha Trekking: November to April
Railway Station: Dehradun is the nearest railway station
Airport: Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun
Kedarkantha Trek Package Inclusions:
➔ Accommodation in Guest house/Home stay/Camping
➔ Meals while on trek (Veg.)
➔ Trekking equipment like comfortable sleeping bag, thick mattress, separate kitchen & dining tent, crampon, utensils
➔ All necessary permits and entry fees
➔ Oxygen cylinder, first aid medical kits and stretcher
➔ Professional Trek Leader (Mountaineering qualified), Guide, and Support staff.
➔ Staff insurance.
Available Group Departures:
➔ December: All Dates
➔ January: All Dates
➔ February: All Dates
Note: Customization is available
How to reach Dehradun:
By Air: Jolly Grant Airport serves Dehradun domestically, with regular flights coming in from major metro cities in India.
By Train: The nearest railway station is the Dehradun junction, which is well connected to major cities from all over India.
By Road: Dehradun is well connected through the road network. You can either drive to Dehradun or hire a cab/taxi to reach Dehradun from Delhi or any other nearby city. Regular bus services also prevail to and fro Dehradun through an excellent roadways network
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best time for Kedarkantha trek?
Kedarkantha trekking can be done most of the year, but the best time is between November to April when the roads are submerged under a blanket of snow and the snow-covered alpines look beautiful! June to September are months to be avoided for trekking because it rains very heavily and walking gets difficult.
What is the Kedarkantha trek cost?
Kedarkantha trek Cost is INR 7,500/- per person and one can also enjoy discounts on group bookings. Kedarkantha trek Package is inclusive of the meals, stays, and various other amenities so make sure that you read the inclusions carefully.
What will be the Kedarkantha trek route?
Day 1 – Drive from Dehradun – Sankri (7-8 hours for 186 KM)
Day 2 – Trek from Sankri – Juda-ka-Talab (3-4 hours for 4 KM)
Day 3 – Trek from Juda-ka-Talab – Kedarkantha Base (3 hours for 4 KM)
Day 4 – Trek from Kedarkantha base – Kedarkantha peak; descend to Juda-Ka-Talab (6 KM)
Day 5 – Trek from Juda-Ka-Talab – Sankri (6 KM)
Day 6 – Drive back from Sankri to Dehradun (7-8 hours for 186 KM)
What type of vehicles will be used for transportation?
The journey from Dehradun to Sankri and back is by car. An SUV like the Tata Sumo or similar will be provided for group transport. The rest of the journey is a trek on foot.
I am a first timer. Should I go for Kedarkantha Trekking?
Yes, the Kedarkantha Trek is considered an easy one, which is why most beginners opt for it as well. The snow-laden roads and dense forests are easy to walk through, except for the point between the base camp and the peak, where the climb can get slightly strenuous. Apart from that, the distance covered ranges from 4-6 KM per day at moderate speed, making this trek an easy one.
How much weight will I have to carry?
It is advisable to carry a 6L backpack, weight to be carried will depend on your requirements and capacity.
Boarding Point: Tehsil Chowk, Dehradun, Uttarakhand